Hey Queens! 👋🏽
Tomato is one of the fruit I use from my refrigerator for my weekly face routine. Therefore, I will be giving you a brief insight on this fruit and it’s benefits.
A member of the nightshade family (along with aubergines, peppers and chillies), tomatoes are in fact a fruit, but their affinity for other savoury ingredients means that they are usually classed as a vegetable.
Tomatoes originated in western South America, crossed the Atlantic to Spain with the conquistadors in the 16th century, but only finally caught on in northern Europe in the 19th century. Today they’re one of the most important ingredients available, and are especially indispensible in Mediterranean cookery. The skin, flesh and seeds can all be eaten, but the green leaves are toxic, so should always be discarded.
The number of varieties run into the thousands, and they vary in size from the huge beefsteak to tiny cherry tomatoes, but most have a sweet, gently tangy flavour and are good both raw and cooked. [SOURCE]
Benefits to the Skin
Besides cooking, tomato can be used in a number of ways to enhance your beauty. It is considered to be the panacea of skin. It is believed that consuming tomato and tomato products will give you a healthy and beautiful skin. Its beauty benefits are gaining popularity with every passing day. Benefits of tomatoes for skin include the following:
1. Treat Open Pores
- Add four drops of tomato juice to 1 tablespoon of water and apply it on your face with the help of a cotton ball.
- Gently massage your skin with this mixture and leave it on for 15 minutes. Regular application of this will shrink the pore size.
2. Glowing Skin
Tomatoes are not just an important part of a healthy diet but also work wonders when applied topically on the skin. Applying tomato juice or rubbing tomato halves on the skin evens out the skin and revives the glow giving you a healthy looking skin. It contains a high amount of Vitamin C, which is known to brighten skin.
3. Prevent Signs Of Aging
Tomatoes and its products enable the skin to absorb oxygen and prevent the signs of aging. It provides an amazing natural skin treatment that can make the skin look younger and healthy with less effort.
4. Act As A Natural Sunscreen
According to various studies, tomato contains an antioxidant called lycopene which acts as a natural sunscreen. This provides the skin protection from harsh UV rays.
5. Act As A Stress Reliever
Tomato extract is often used in luxurious body massage oils to combat visible sign of stress on the skin. Tomato extract is also used in eye creams, which, along with other essential ingredients, leaves the eyes looking fresh and revitalized.
6. Perfect Astringent
The astringent properties of tomato make it an excellent choice for combination skin.
- A pack made from mashed avocados and tomatoes soothes the skin and cleanses it thoroughly to give you a glowing complexion.
- Apply this face pack and wash it off with lukewarm water after 20 to 30 minutes. Tomato contains natural oil reducing and astringent properties while avocado provides an antiseptic and moisturizing effect to the skin.
7. Fight Cellular Damage
Consumption of at least 16 milligrams of lycopene every day reduces the amount of free radicals in the body to give you a youthful skin. It fights cellular damage and reddening of the skin and also retains the moisture, thus preventing fine lines and wrinkles. This property of tomato makes it an amazing anti-aging product.
8. Natural Bleaching Agent
Tomato is considered as a natural bleaching agent and is very helpful in lightening the skin tone.
- Prepare a face pack by mixing 1 teaspoon of oatmeal, 1 teaspoon of yogurt and 2 teaspoons of tomato pulp.
- Apply it on the face and neck and leave it for 20 minutes. Oatmeal will gently exfoliate the skin, while yogurt and tomato will help to clear the blemishes. This improves the complexion.
9. Prevent Sunburn
According to Prevention Magazine, people who consumed five tablespoons of tomato paste daily for three consecutive months were naturally protected against sunburn. Sun burnt skin can also be treated by applying tomato on the affected parts.
- Make a pack by mixing 2 teaspoons of tomato pulp with 1 teaspoon of yogurt. Apply this on the face, neck, hands, and feet.
- Tomato cools the skin while yogurt provides a protein boost to make the skin soft and supple.
10. Smooth Skin
Mix honey with tomato juice to make a thick paste. Apply it on the face and wash it off after 15 minutes to get a smooth and glowing skin.
11. Remove Dead Skin Cells
Tomatoes can greatly help you to remove dead skin cells.
- Grind tomatoes in a mixer with the seeds and add 1 teaspoon of sugar to it.
- Apply it on the face and massage gently in circular motion.
You can also cut 1 tomato into 2 halves and sprinkle some sugar on it. Gently scrub your skin with it to do away with dead skin cells and get a clean and fresh looking skin. [SOURCE]
Benefits to the Hair
You must have noticed that many hair care products including shampoos and conditioners contain tomato extract as one of the ingredients. This is because tomato contains important nutrients like Vitamin A, B, C, and E, which are excellent stimulants for healthy hair. Some of the benefits of tomatoes for hair include these below.
- Tomatoes are considered to be an excellent cure for hair loss. It is believed that application of tomato pulp on the scalp can prevent hair loss.
- Tomatoes are amazing natural conditioners coming straight from your kitchen. It provides natural shine to the hair and makes it soft and manageable. Take a few drops of tomato oil in your hand and apply it on your hair. This will act as a leave-in conditioner and will keep the hair manageable and frizz free.
- Pure, homemade tomato puree can help in bringing radiance and elasticity to dry hair. Mix tomato puree with oil and apply it on the hair. Leave it for 20 minutes and then wash it off. This will make the hair super smooth, shiny and flexible as it contains high amounts of protein in it.
- Regular swimming often changes the color of the hair due to the high amount of chlorine present in the pool water. Tomato can be a great help to remove the stains from the hair. Apply pure tomato juice to the hair and leave it for 20 minutes. Rinse it off with water, followed by shampoo and conditioning.
- Tomato juice also acts as a soaking agent to remove odors. Apply freshly squeezed tomato juice on the scalp and massage your hair with it for a few minutes. Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash it off as usual.
- Moisture often escapes from the scalp during winters, making the hair strands dry and brittle, leading to breakage. So make sure to keep your hair replenished with the help of tomatoes. Tomatoes help to lock the much-needed moisture in the hair to prevent it from dry.
- Tomatoes are very useful for curing itchy scalp and dandruff. Itchy scalp and dandruff lead to other scalp problems, like eczema and scalp psoriasis. Tomato contains a high amount of Vitamin C, which fights dandruff and provides collagen for proper tissue development of the scalp. Take 2 to 3 ripe tomatoes and make a thick pulp out of it.Add 2 tablespoon of lemon juice to it and mix well to form a smooth paste. Apply the pack gently on the scalp. Do not scratch the scalp with nails.Apply it properly on the scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Rinse your hair with water and let it dry.
- Tomato hair rinse can be used to impart shine and remove excess build-up from the scalp. Take 3 ripe tomatoes, remove the skin and seeds and squeeze the juice out of it. Spray it on your hair and scalp and wash it off after 1 hour. [SOURCE]
Until next time,
Peace & Love.